Genealogy of Neir: Pairing Guide
* This text contains unmarked game spoilers, so be warned. Furthermore, the author's views about pairings are greatly narrowed. I've borrowed a lot from the Genealogy of Fala pairing guide, so I'm leaving some words of thanks here.
* Please acknowledge that, because of version updates, some info here may be obsolete.
Units' growth rates
||Holy blood||P. Skills|
|Johan||Axe Knight||Iron Knight||70+20||30||5||30||50
|Azel||Fire Mage||Mage Knight||50+20||30||50+30||40||20
|Cuan||Lance Knight||Glory Knight||70+40||40+20||5||50+20||30
||5||40+60||40||Heim, Lopto|| |
I tried to list the Divine and personal weapons obtained in the story, alongside the ones able to use them. Only the second generation characters with fixed stats are listed (since the others are variable).
|Personal weapon||1st generation||2nd generation||Users (complement)|
|Tyrfing||Ch. 4 Chalphy||Inheritance||Major Baldo (Sigurd and his father-inheriting child)|
|Mirtortin||Ch. 3 Lachesis → Elto||Inheritance||Major Hezul (Elto and Aless)|
|Balmung||Ch. 3 Shanan||Inheritance||Major Odo (Shanan and his father-inheriting child)|
|Levantine||Ch. 3 Odo Tower||Inheritance||Blagi lineage (Dew, Sylvia and their children)|
|Falchion||-||Ch. 8 Celice||Anyone with holy blood|
|Sieglinde||-||Ch. 9 Faval||Ulir lineage or Femina (Midayle, Femina)|
|Villuck Sword||Ch. 2 village||Shop||Males (Women and hets go home! - by Villuck)|
|Nihil Sword||Ch. 1 Lachesis||Ch. 8 female captain (merc)||Females (Elto can equip it as well, naturally)|
|Hrotti||-||Ch. 8 Claude|| Personal STR + MAG = 16 or more (No abatement from breath damage and dragon killer)|
|Hrunting||Ch. 5 Bront||Inheritance||Ulir or Hezul lineage, Blade Knight or Sagitary (others get a headache and die)|
|Ridill||-||Endgame Galzus||Personal SKL 15 (this time it doesn't sometimes attack twice or thrice, bur always twice instead)|
|Gae Blog||Ch. 5 Calf (can't be passed down)||Endgame Althena||Major Noba (Cuan and his father-inheriting child, Carion)|
|Gungnir||-||Ch. 7 Dean → Linoan||Major Dain (Hannival x Meng, Dean)|
|Siegmund||Ch. 5 Mahnya (can't be passed down)||Ch. 9 Femina||Femina and Mahnya only|
|Swanthika||Ch. 5 Lango → Lex||Ch. 10 Slayder → Arthur||Major Neir (Lex, Arthur and Brian)|
|Bolt Axe||Prologue Blume → Lex||Inheritance||Lex, his child and Glormel only|
|Ballefleche||-||Ch. 9 Bridget||Same as Hrunting|
|Sarnga||-||-||Enemy only (Beigeritter and Cross Knights), Vishnu's bow that released sunfire and arrows of light|
|Valkyrie||-||-||Enemy only (reveals its true power when used together with the Levantine. Claude, Corple, Laylea), battle maiden who guided heroes fallen in battle to Valhalla|
|Falaflame||-||Ch. 7 Cyas||Cyas, Azel x Diadora|
|Thorhammer||-||Ch. 10 Blume||Leptor and his father-inheriting child, Ishtar|
|Vígríðr||-||-||Enemy only (Blume, Ishtor), the place where Ragnarök happened.|
|Holsety||Ch. 3 Mahnya → Levin||Ch. 7 Claude||Major Sety (Levin, Sety), those who want to know why Claude holds it in 2nd gen check the spoilers|
|Graphcalibur||Ch. 2 Levin → Asvel||Inheritance||Asvel and his children (in 2nd gen, Asvel joins with Finbul. Relief measure in case Graph is passed down.)|
|Narga||-||Endgame Freege||Ishtar (Arthur used to be able to equip it, but no more)|
|Loputousu||-||-||Enemy only (Ishtor), father of Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel, Sigyn's husband, defeated by Heimdall|
|Naglfar||-||-||Enemy only (Manfloy, Lyon), a ship made from the fingernails and toenails of the dead, sailing towards Ragnarök|
|(Princess → Gold Knight)||(Sword Knight → Blade Knight)|
|| A → A A|
|Holy blood: Minor Hezul||Nanna (mother)|
|Weapon levels: A B B||(Trobadour → Gold Knight)|
|→ A|| A C → A |
Mother and children are just like in the original game; therefore, it may be easy to decide what pairing to make. If you don't pay attention to Delmud's growths, there's a good chance he'll be a good-for-nothing. You'll probably want to let him inherit the Master Sword Tristan and Zain can obtain in Chapter 4. Because of the fixed Hezul blood, the kids can equip Hrunting.
- Johlavier: If you manage to class change him, he can pass down swords, minor Neir, etc. A better choice than Johan.
- Johan: Because of minor Neir, the growths themselves aren't bad; besides, he passes down Nihil. However...
- Harold: He can pass down swords if promoted, but... the growth balance is probably troublesome.
- Asvel: Would this be like Fin x Lache is the original game? The children get Prayer, and Nanna's magic growth becomes good. However, in this case, Delmud's inheritance is...
- Tristan: Midayle x Adean. Effective with the Ragnell. Growths are well-balanced, with no real bad point. Moreover, HP may be capped.
- Sigurd: * swords, good growths and usable Tyrfing. Aether is available as well, but it has a bad interaction with double-attacking weapons so beware.
- Hannival: The extra lance level from minor Dain is useless, which is painful. Growth-wise, the Dain blood grants good STR, SKL and SPD.
- Leptor: Azel x Adean's position. Nanna's Thunder level is A, but she can't handle Thorhammer so I guess this might really be a trap.
- Zain: Jamka x Adean. There's nothing to say about the growths and skills. Notice that bows can't be inherited, however.
- Shanan: Balmung can be inherited, but the growths are unbalanced. However, Astra bow on enemies with 1 range sounds powerful.
- Azel: If Azel holds on magic swords after class change, Delmud will be able to make of use Fala's magic growth.
- Cuan: Lances can't be passed down, same case as in Dain. Let's leave Cuan for someone else.
- Dew: Levantine can be passed down, and the skill differences compared to Dew x Lache in the original game sound promising.
|(Dragon Knight → Lindwurm)||(Dragon Knight → Lindwurm)|
|| B A → A A|
|Holy blood: Minor Dain||Eda (mother)|
|Weapon levels: B A||(Dragon Knight → Lindwurm)|
|→ A A|| B A → A A|
One of the sisters promoted to Dragon Knight. Combinations that result in immediate combat prowess (for instance, Sigurd's Tyrfing and Aether) should be preferred. By the way, Dean, Arion and Eda can use a triangle attack when combined.
Either way, the kids should already have good STR and DEF, so it would be perhaps good to aim to improve their SKL, SPD and their especially weak RES (and if possible, their bow vulnerability)?
- Johalvier: he can pass down swords if class-changed, but Critical is redundant... besides, the Neir blood doesn't help much.
- Johan: It's quite reassuring to have two (three when Dean joins) Dragon Knights with Nihil. He can also pass down spears. Let's aim to have him hold a Silver Lance upon class change.
- Harold: He can pass down swords and lances if promoted, but his SPD and SKL... on the other side, 35% RES and Ambush are quite tempting. However, if we're aiming for RES, perhaps it'd be better to look for other pairings.
- Asvel: His RES is low even though he's a mage... at least his SKL, SPD and skills are good. However, the lack of inheritance is a pain.
- Tristan: Redundant Critical is a minus, but weapon inheritance and stat balance are pluses. If he can reach lv. 30, Arion's HP might just reach 80.
- Sigurd: Would this be the "the free-flying Black Dragon King, wielder of the Nihil-bestwoing Tyrfing?" The growths are good and there are no inheritance issues; the only defect is the redundant Critical. If you give Eda the Nihil Sword, and the Longinus later on, and you'll be able to freely move the siblings together.
- Hannival: Ayra x Holyn. Continue is redundant, but he's got Nihil. You can also steal the Gungnir from Dean. This is good in case Dean becomes a good-for-nothing, but the low RES may be fatal. (Dean's MAG and RES are high for a dragon knight.)
- Leptor: SKL and RES rise, but... there's no inheritance, and his major Tordo rots.
- Zain: Can pass down up to B rank swords and the growths are very satisfatory. However, the only skill he passes down is Charge.
- Shanan: STR, SKL, SPD and DEF are high, so this would possibly mean excellent W. Knights. Astra and Sol can be inherited without issues, too.
- Azel: The high RES is a plus. However, the extra Fire level's uselessness is a minus. Nihil is extraordinarily handy... I guess this pairing offsets all weak points.
- Cuan: Arion being able to wield the Gae Bolg in endgame and pulling off triangle attacks with Dean and Eda could possibly be ideal. Ambush allows good use of double-hitting weapons. Recommended weapons are the Master Lance, and then the Gae Bolg when obtained.
- Dew: An abnormal RES boost. Moreover, stats are improved all-around. The low MAG is a bother, but since Levantine's minimum (indirect) attack power is 28 that doesn't really matter.
|(Shaman → Sage)||(Light Mage → Dark Prince)|
|| B → A|
|Holy blood: Minor Fala||Yuria (mother)|
|Weapon levels: B C A||(Shaman → Queen)|
|→ B A|| B C A → A|
This is probably the pairing where the father's skills play the biggest role. Since this hack's Dark Prince is basically unaffected by terrain, he'll be like a pegasus if he can get a Leg Ring. His Dark Level is A, but that's only because of the similarly-classed enemy Ishtor (since you can't obtain any dark tomes).
Yuria is played pretty much like in the original game. Both children can use Falaflame if Azel is their father. Cyas would be sad, but... well.
- Johalvier: Minor Neir... DEF improves, and STR is just high enough to offset magic weight. That's all. Wouldn't it be better to just obediently pair her up with another magic user type character?
- Johan: Just like above. It would be an especially good idea to avoid Johan, even, since his Nihil is redundant.
- Harold: For the same reasons of the two above, let's discard this one already.
- Asvel: Fin x Lache. His personal magic tome, Graphcalibur, can be passed down. Skills are good, and there's a Chapter 7 convo as well. Well, it's Fin x Lache after all. It's importat, so I said it twice.
- Tristan: HP only. Let's stay away from this.
- Sigurd: The pairing that was broken up in this patch. Since it's just Lache x Levin, there's no convo, which is a pity... Sigurd can use magic after class change, but his Tyrfing...
- Hannival: If you make him class change into Duke, he'll have no issue passing down magic tomes. However, the low MAG is an issue, and his skills are redundant.
- Leptor: Yurius can use Thorhammer. Skills are Wrath and Charge, which aren't redundant. You just can't have Yuria use Thorhammer.
- Zain: The skills are good, but there are inheritance troubles.
- Shanan: Astra and Sol can be passed down, but... the Balmung is wasted, so it'd be best to stay away from this. The low magic-related growths are also undesirable.
- Azel: Yurius and Yuria can use Falaflame and the ionheritance is good but... the SKL growth is low. Since this could result in a Falaflame that won't hit, beware. If you let them hold Falaflame and a MAG up item, plus status staves, the only ones they won't be able to put to sleep would be probably Ishtor and Manfloy.
- Cuan: Wasting the Gae Bolg = lol
- Dew: lol Levantine
|(Blade → Mercenary)||(Blade → Sagitary)|
|| A → A A|
|Holy blood: Minor Odo||Mareeta (mother)|
|Weapon levels: A||(Blade → Sword Eschatos)|
|→ A B|| A → A|
Shanan x Ayra would be safe here... not, since that combination would be a waste of Astra. However, they'd have good frontline activity with the Divine Sword. Anyhow, let's make a point of strengthening their wake points - DEF and RES.
- Johalvier: He can pass down swords after class change, offsets the weak points and improves STR. The skills are good as well.
- Johan: If you're thinking of choosing Johan, then it'd be better to choose Johalvier. Inheritance, Critical, Charge >>> redundant skills. If at least he could pass down weapons...
- Harold: Can pass down swords upon class change, Ambush and offsets defensive weaknesses, but it can't be denied that he falls behind Johalvier...
- Tristan: Can pass down swords as well as Wrath and Critical, and the balance is good as well. Also, the DEF weak point is offset, and HP rises to a point that only Recover can fully heal it.
- Sigurd: Levin x Sylvia. No issues passing down Tyrfing, not to mention Aether bows and no redundant skills. Growths are generally fine, so this is quite a strong combination. Moreover, Aether + Astra kind of allows tricolor sparkles.
- Hannival: Possible offsetting of weak points and able to pass down swords, but the skill redundance makes things delicate.
- Leptor: Tordo blood isn't used, and the growths look a bit distorted. I wouldn't really recommend this.
- Zain: No growth or skill issues, and inheritance is okay a well. However, Skasaher's impact when joining in Chapter 9 is quite low...
- Shanan: Mareeta is able to use the Balmung, but the growths are extremely distorted. What hurts the most is, like pointed before, the redundant Astra.
- Azel: He can use swords after class change, and his RES is high as well. It seems the children would be able to make good use of magic swords.
- Cuan: High STR and DEF, but the Gae Bolg can't be used and Continue is redundant.
- Dew: Astra + Sol together look like the strongest combination. On the other hand, Astra + Astra results in a headache and death.
|(Priest → High Priest)||(Gold Knight)|
|Holy blood: n/a||Rana (mother)|
|Weapon levels: B||(Priest → Valkyria)|
|→ A C A|| B → A B C|
About Celice... his class ensures he'll have no inheritance issues. He receives Prayer and Continue from his mother. Even though it's related to Sigurd, I guess Celice's hair color is still good enough. Rana will generally have good MAG, thanks to Adean. She can make use of her STR stat as well as a Valkyria, but...
- Johalvier: The skills aren't an issue... but wouldn't Rana's STR become unexpectedly high with the minor Neir bonus?
- Johan: He might be better than Johalvier here, due to his Nihil skill. Thanks to the minor Neir bonus, Rana's STR becomes quite high.
- Harold: His only relevant stats are STR, DEF and RES, but Ambush and weapons are inherited. However, Rana's STR becomes high.
- Asvel: Magic growth becomes quite high and Rana gets a gentle father, but Prayer's redundance is undesirable. Celice becomes able to use magic.
- Tristan: Celice gets a lot of HP and good balance. Most skills are inherited, as well. However, there's a danger that Rana's HP may become too high.
- Sigurd: The best combination; indeed, the Tyrfing is meant for Celice. Anyway, if you're confused about what pairing to make, I suggest Sigurd x Adean. With Continue, Critical, Aether and Prayer, the The Conqueror of the Century's End Rana'oh is complete.
- Hannival: Continue is redundant. There's a danger of Rana's STR becoming too high.
- Leptor: Thorhammer can be used. Prayer and Wrath have a rather good interaction. Rana becomes a technician.
- Zain: Skills are rather good. However, it doesn't look too good compared to others (lineage-wise). Sun God Rana is complete.
- Shanan: Astra and Sol are passed down, and the Balmung can be used as well. However, there's a high probability of level-ups when only SKL and SPD improve.
- Azel: The MAG improvement is desirable. Rana will have no issues with that.
- Cuan: The Gae Bolg can be employed, and the skills are fine. Thanks to the Noba blood, Rana's STR becomes outrageous!
- Dew: Levantine can be used. Since the magic growth is high, you can look forward to a 55 attack power if things go well. Rana transforms into a motorbyke.
|(Dancer)||(Thief → Nightblade)|
|| B → A|
|Holy blood: Minor Blagi||Leen (mother)|
|Weapon level: C||(Dancer)|
At first Laylea was supposed to be in Leen's place, but after thinking well about it I came to the conclusion that it'd be unnatural so I swapped them. Sleuf is a bit different from his Thracia 776 version (he's a Priest there, after all). Sleuf's STR and DEF growths are low, so we should perhaps aim to improve those. If we pair Sylvia and Shanan, he becomes a machine who can sparkle in three colors with Astra + Sol + Luna... let's just leave them like that.
- Johalvier: Can pass down swords after promotion. His skills can be inherited, and his minor Neir boosts STR and DEF.
- Johan: Since he can't pass down swords, just Nihil might be a bit too little.
- Harold: He can pass down swords after promotion, but... no matter what, he's behind Johalvier.
- Asvel: Hard to make, without any retribution... no inheritance, and Prayer is redundant to boot.
- Tristan: The HP reinforcement helps correcting the usual fragility. It'd be good to let Tristan get and pass down the Ragnell.
- Sigurd: Tyrfing can be inherited. Again, Tyrfing's bonuses compensate the weak points, while reinforcing the strengths. However, Critical is Nightblade's class skill, and Sigurd's Aether and Sylvia's Luna are redundant.
- Hannibal: Besides the minor Dain bonuses, there's a good DEF reinforcement and no inheritance issues.
- Leptor: No magic-wielding kids, and a Nightblade won't need all that SKL... at least Wrath and Prayer have a good sinergy.
- Zain: Good stat balance and no inheritance issues. However, no holy blood, and Continue and Critical are Nightblade's skills.
- Shanan: Tiltyu x Claude (a trap in the original game). Recommended combination. Just as noted above, Astra + Luna + Sol + Balmung's near-100% critical hit is definitely strong. Avoid is also high. Ettard is also put in good use. However, the Balmung can't attack indirectly, so caution is needed. STR and DEF growths will be low, so we'd better properly reinforce those with rings.
- Azel: Can pass down swords after class change. Fighting could be through magic swords + Luna, perhaps. Sleuf could be strong with the Hel-casting Hrotti. It even gives a DEF bonus.
- Cuan: No weapon inheritance is the worst problem. Skills and blood growth bonuses are attractive, however.
- Dew: This is Luna + Sol + indirectly-attacking Levantine. It allows indirect attacks and boosts STR, DEF and RES, so this pairing is comparable to Sylvia x Shanan. Caution to not die when being swarmed by enemies, however. Also, if Sleuf has 50,000G, he can equip the Levantine even if he isn't Dew's child...
|(Valkyria)||(Social Knight → Paladin)|
|| * B C C → * A B B C |
|Holy blood: Major Hezul||Linoan (father)|
|Weapon levels: * A B||(Shaman → Sage)|
|-|| B C A → B A|
Since Aless has major Hezul, being able to equip the Mistortin (drains HP and provides good stat bonuses), it'd be best not to worry about him too much (although there's the danger of him getting killed via indirect attacks); instead, I believe it's needed to pay attention to the mage-type Linoan. If you pair Elto with Leptor, she'll be able to use Thorhammer, so both siblings will have Divine Weapons. Since there are few worries about Aless's defenses, let's focus on Linoan instead. Also, since Aless can't inherit magic tomes, we'd better sell any Elto might have.
- Johalvier: Thanks to the minor Neir's bonuses, Aless axe rank improves. However, about the inheritance...
- Johan: Just like above. Nihil is indeed nice, but...
- Harold: No inheritance, growth rates are screwed and the skills are redundant. Miserable.
- Asvel: MAG is good enough, but this pairing is hard to make.
- Tristan: At least he can pass down staves after class change, I guess... skills are satisfatory.
- Sigurd: The fact the Tyrfing can't be used is indeed an issue. Growths and skills are alright.
- Hannival: Can pass down magic after class change, but the core growth rates would be low so this would be a delicate pairing.
- Leptor: Recommended combination. Each of the siblings can employ a different Divine Weapon. They're death god siblings (in the good sense) in endgame. The DEF growth leaves me anxious, however.
- Zain: Skills and growths are indeed good, but inheritance is truly impossible. More than one other candidate has stumbled on this point. It can't be helped.
- Shanan: Inheriting Astra is good, but the Balmung would be discarded. And, again, MAG would be iffy as well.
- Azel: Thanks to his Fala lineage, there's hope for MAG and DEF growths. Inheritance is also fine.
- Cuan: Would mean discarding the Gae Bolg, so it'd be better to avoid this.
- Dew: Discarded Levantine. Improved RES, but wouldn't make much difference.
|Lex x Tiltyu||→
||Arthur (Lord → Master Lord; dismounted class Marshal)|
* → * A
The lord's initial strength is low but, thanks to the power of Wrath + Ambush and Elite, his growth is fast. Since he has both major Heim and Neir, his growth rates are quite high. Since most of Chapter 6's enemies are knight-type and armors, he can make good use of the Urvan. If you get him to level 20 before Chapter 7 and make him a Master Lord at the start of that Chapter, things get considerably easier.
The Master Lord class has A rank in almost all weapons, better stats that the Master Knight. To boot, it dismounts into the Marshall class and Arthur gets the Aether skill. It's indeed a "cheat" class. Even then, soloing the endgame is a delicate matter (well, it's another story entirely if he has the Heim Scroll, but). By the way, the Ragnell activates Aether while the Ettard triggers Luna. You could sell the Swanthika to Brian, get Celice's starting Falchion or the Longinus obtained at Chapter 10 (Nihil is redundant), or even use the Master Axe obtained from Linoan against the small fry. In previous patches, he was able to equip Narga as well, so it'd be better to hold the Heim Scroll against Ishtor.
|Levin x Mahnya||→
||Sety (Wind Mage → Sage)|
* → B A * A
||Femina (Pegasus Knight → Vanadis)|
A → A B
In the original game, Leaf was the younger brother and Althena the elder sister but, this time around, Sety is the older and Femina the younger one. Holsety can be obtained at the end of Chapter 7, so you can use him as one of your main strikers from there on. Naturally, Sety is still strong enough with the Elwind inherited from Levin.
Femina was raised in Jungvy but is a Pegasus Knight (the strong bow users are Midayle and Skasaher). Her starting equipments are the Siegmund and the Delphi Shield, so she's useful right from joining time. Since she can't inherit staves, let's sell Mahnya's staves before she withdraws. In endgame, she gains healing utility with Recover and Reblow. Again, she's the best one for luring the Goldritter in the final chapter.
The author's pairings in the playtest were:
- Lachesis x Tristan
- Meng x Hannibal
- Diadora x Azel
- Ayra x Dew
- Adean x Sigurd
- Sylvia x Shanan
- Eltoshan x Leptor
However, considering the latest data, if I were to plan pairings now:
- Lachesis x Zain
- Meng x Cuan or Hannibal
- Diadora x Azel, Asvel or Leptor
- Ayra x Dew
- Adean x Sigurd
- Sylvia x Shanan
- Eltoshan x Leptor or Asvel
Yes, that'd be appropriate.
Fixed units' growth rates
||Holy blood||P. Skills|
|Carion||Lance Knight||Glory Knight||110+40||40+20||5||50+20||40
|Cyas||Fire Mage||High Priest||90+40||5||60+60||50||50
|Brian||Iron Knight||Gold Knight||80+40||70||5||50||40
||70||90+40||90||Heim, Tordo|| |