Genealogy of Inflation ver. 0.6E
Use a Japanese FE4 Seisen no Keifu ROM with a header (4.194.816 bytes). Apply the patch to an unmodified ROM.
This is a readme, but you don't need to read the FAQ unless you've got too much free time on your hands. If you find any glitches, please report them in the Binary Thread. Those who feel like bug-catching, feel free to.
- At the bare minimum, save, reset and load at the end of every chapter. This seems related to the mount/dismount bug.
- Save, reset and load after starting Chapter 6. It's needed to avert bugs even in vanilla.
- Accordingly to the creator of Genealogy of Lord Marth, mixing patches is apparently dangerous.
- Those worried about spoilers, please read only the glitches and main mechanics changes sections.
Main changes from ver. 0.6D
- Fixed Aida's fielding bug... hopefully, but still looks suspicious.
- Tried to expand the real battle weapon graphic palettes.
- Changed Lance's, Labris' and Mistortin's palettes.
- Changed Mistortin's icon and graphic to match its new palette.
- Changed the attack power calculation and normalized Defense's effect.
- Changed Barrier Sword so that its damage is Magic-based.
Now, a note about other patches. As long as $F828-$F840 are empty, you could apply this patch to a ROM that already has another patch applied... or so I believe.
- 542's Weapon bonus addition patch
- 542's Critical hit formula modification patch
- 542's Sword Skill judgement modification program patch - type B
- 542's Weapon level expansion patch
- 542's Divine Weapon patch
- 542's Class Change selection and mount/dismount patch
- Habana's feseiRING patch
- Habana's sleep correction patch
- Habana's Pursuit patch - just the Pursuit part was added manually
- Binary Thread's Chapter 8 182's Map graphic specification method patch
Confirmed bugs and glitches
- Items forcefully added to enemies (over the 3rd one?) disappear when save data is loaded, as they aren't recorded in the SRM.
- This might be related to the addition of other Dance-using classes. In rare cases, after dancing, if you move the cursor elsewhere before settling the dancer's remaining movement, you can resolve other units' actions. (Happens a lot around castles, especially near Madino and Luveck. The event data that specifies an unit's movement route and dance's processing get scrambled in the memory. In that case, dancing seems to works as if it were done inside the main castle.)
- Rarely, after mounting or dismounting, an unit will become unable to move and disappear. (This bug happens in vanilla as well, when Celice mounts or dismounts. Since it only happens if you only progress using savestates, load the game from the srm at least at the beginning of each chapter. If you only progress through savestates, too much data remains in the memory, which may cause interference.)
- When max attack range is above 2, the weapon's attack range isn't properly shown beyond 11 squares. (Beware of Ch. 10 Yurius, Ch. 8 Faval and the moving Long Archs equipped with Great Archs in Ch. 8-9.)
- When attacking with a forced real animation weapon, lover and brother attack effects won't appear. (The effect doesn't happen, but the critical effect happens just fine inside of battle. This also happens in vanilla, when attacking with Narga or fighting Ch. 10 Yurius.)
- Due to stavestate progression, once the Celice/Yuria magic book assignment event happens, the item is duplicated (one held by Yuria, one by whoever inherited it). (In order to cancel this pairing-induced bug, it's recommended to reset the game once you reach chapter 6 and load it from the srm.)
- Arch type weapon: when being counterattacked by an opponent with a long range weapon, the point of view moves to somewhere said opponent isn't.
- When a long range spell's added effect activates: since the added effect and the magic attack can't be merged, it looks like the magic attack has hit twice.
- Again staff's cursor can target units that haven't moved yet. Using it mistakingly = orz.
- Since Divine Weapons can be bought even if they can't be used, having a character who can't use them buy them = orz.
- Since all weapons have C rank by default when broken, you may have a character buy a weapon that he can't use once it's repaired.
- Chapter 1: Units can advance until Verdane before Marpha is conquered.
- Chapter 5: On rare cases, the Lanzenritter might end up defeating even Magorne.
- There are inconsistencies between the walking and base icons of remodeled classes.
- There are inconsistencies in the interaction of some new classes' map battle graphics against other classes.
- Adult civilians and others have childish death screams.
- The third item owned by an enemy is influenced by the number of uses of your own army's item.
- Promoted class selection by pressing X, Y or R in the "do you want to change classes?" screen.
- 2nd gen Fin's items and stats aren't inherited from 1st gen.
- Changed the magic book Yuria carries in the Final Chapter when she retreats holding no weapons.
- "Steal" and "dance" skill icons aren't shown in the status screen.
- The speed difference needed for a second attack is 3 for those with Pursuit and 6 for those without.
- Ambush activates when the unit's AS is higher that their opponent's.
- If Defense (or Resistance) is equal or higher than attack power, no damage.
- Critical hit damage formula changed from Attack x2 to Damage x3.
- Hit formula changed to weapon hit + Skill x3.
- Weapon weight is offset by STR/4 (for physical weapons) or MAG/4 (for magic). Fractions ignored.
- If a character has less than 10 HP when hit by Hel, instant death.
- Continue's activation rate changed to work like described ingame.
- Continue may activate when weapons that attack twice are used, as well.
- Sword Skills may be used by all classes, with all weapons. Moreover, they may be freely inherited.
- Sword Skills are unaffected by "Nihil." *Nihil cancels only criticals and effective weaponry.
- Luna, Sol and Senkouken may activate during Astra.
- Weapon affinity bonus changed to 10%.
- Support range increased by 1 square. Lover support changed to 20%.
- Battle experience increased.
- Divine Weapons are sellable. Circlet, Rosario and Maira's Bracelet cannot be sold.
- Changed some terrain effects.
- All classes, other than horse-riding and armor-type, can walk through deep forests.
- Promoted armors and unpromoted horse riders can pass walk through mountains.
- Light infantry, mercenary and thief type characters can walk through cliffs.
- Mercenary and thief type characters can walk through rivers.
- If Leaf and Fin are adjacent, brother attack is activated.
- If Corple or Sharlow and Hannival are adjacent, brother attack is activated.
- Status effect duration changed to 1-10 turns. 1/11 chance of lasting forever if untreated (turn count displayed as 0).
- Arena's rewards increased.
For detailed info on mechanics changes and class stats, refer to other text files.
List of triangle attack combinations
- Noish, Alec, Arden
- Celice, Oifaye, Leaf, Althena * Can be activated if any 3 of these 4 are aligned.
- Shanan, Skasaher (Roddlevan), Lakche (Radney)
- Aless, Delmud (Tristan), Nanna (Jeanne)
- Faval, Lester, Patty, Rana * Can be activated if any 3 of these 4 are aligned.
Critical hit activation formulae
1. Critical skill, weapon above 50*
Activation = Skill + (*-50)/2 + class adjustment + weapon critical rate - opponent's Luck
2. Critical skill, weapon below 50*
Activation = Skill + class adjustment + weapon critical rate - opponent's Luck
3. No Critical skill, weapon above 50*
Activation = Skill/2 + (*-50)/2 + class adjustment + weapon critical rate - opponent's Luck
4. No Critical skill, weapon below 50*
Activation = Skill/2 + class adjustment + weapon critical rate - opponent's Luck
5. Triangle Attack, effective weaponry, Wrath
Activation = 100 - opponent's Luck
Genealogy of Inflation - FAQ
Q. There are too many people with Holy Blood. What happened?
A. This derives from the author's wild idea of putting obtainable Divine Weapons in the 2nd gen, please understand. An arrangement that allows use of Thorhammer and Falaflame is recommended. If you do Azel x Tiltyu, then both children will be able to use them. Others would be Lex x Tiltyu and Azel x Sylvia. By the way, let's pair Claude and Lachesis, since Nanna can use Valkyrie as well.
Q. Again, about the Holy Blood excess.
A. The first reason was to make them attractive for pairings. The second reason was clearly to create some growth rate differentiation. Well, something like that.
- Noish: Since he looks like a honest character, Hezul for some reason. If you pair him with Lachesis, you can plunder the Mistortin from Aless. Since he exchanged skills with Alec, his wedding potential changed greatly. He has no events other than Ch. 5's lover convo, but I feel like he's a strong candidate for Lachesis's husband.
- Alec: He looks like a Silesian but, since that would be a bit odd, Baldo for the time being. If he's paired with Adean, the Tyrfing can be used. Once again, since his skills were exchanged with Noish, his potential changed. I think he's become a good candidate for Ayra and Adean.
- Arden: Since I remembered the content of a past log, he gets Neir for the time being. Since he can pass down weapons and has good all-around growths, he's kind of convenient... however, compared to Lex, who has two Holy lineages, he feels inferior, just as always. However, maybe there would be some cases where getting Charge over Elite, which becomes useless after a character is leveled up, would be desirable.
- Midayle: In his situation, I wonder if anything other than Ulir would be fitting. However, his convos feel odd if he isn't a commoner... Either way, his proximity with Adean doesn't change if he has Holy Blood. He has difficulty passing down weapons but, if he were to be paired with Ayra, perhaps the children would enjoy a better Bow raBeowulf: nk.
- Beowulf: Since there's no official note on his origins, I had the wild idea of giving him Dain. Since he doesn't have Nihil, pairing him with Lachesis would be complicated. He's clearly qualified to be Ayra's husband, though. Major Dain would be possible if he married Fury, but you can't get the Gungnir so it'd be meaningless.
Q. Details about Thorhammer being duplicated.
A. Since the old man at the repair shop can fix even Divine Weapons, I had the wild idea that they could be duplicated as well. Basically, the main issue would be whether the user can draw its power or not, just like a sword out of its scabbard. As far I remember, the Thorhammer Ishtar uses in Chapter 10 was duplicated by Yurius for her, at the risk of his own life... or something like that.
Q. Why can Celice use Senkouken?
A. According to Ch. 10's convo, Shanan has teached him swordplay since his childhood. It's apparently surprisingly easy to learn, as some substitutes and enemies have this odd skill as well. Surely they've been haunted by Levin? I mean, since he knew of Loputousu's ability, he induced Celice to learn Senkouken. Why not? Just a wild idea.
Q. About the balance collapse because of the hit formula and weight compensation.
A. It's just your imagination. Really.
Q. About swords' and wind magic's lightweightness being nullified due to the weapon compensation.
A. It's just your imagination. Really.... okay, I guess not. Come on, stop worrying about balance!
Q. About the Valkyrie-wielding characters...
A. Don't think too hard! Feel it! Then shoot!! I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.
Q. Isn't the Jungvy triangle a bit pointless?
A. Surrounding an opponent with Canto, then having Patty or Rana attack from close should be a good idea, for sure.
Q. About Althena and Arion (Final Chapter) being secretly set as siblings.
A. Doesn't really matter. Look, there. A bird. Anyway, it won't activate unless Arion and Althena are adjacent, attacking Nihil-less mooks.
Q. There are too many personal skills and the growths are too high. Think about balance.
A. It's Inflation. If you're unhappy, please adjust them yourself.
Q. The enemies have been becoming stronger with each update, right?
A. It's because it was too easy.
Q. About the items becoming cheaper, even though it's Inflation.
A. Sorry, it's Deflation when it comes to items. Please use the Divine Weapons and semi-Divine Weapons to your heart's content.
Q. The new classes' names are hideous. Change them?
A. The creator has no taste, that's all. If you're unhappy, please change them yourself.
Q. The new items' names are hideous. Cha-
A. The creator has-
Q. The icons are od-
A. The creato-
Q. The balance is bad. Adjust it properly.
A. The cr-
Q. Isn't there any other weapons from Monshou or other previous games, Parthia apart?
A. For the time being, there are Excalibur and Starlight - but, as far as your units are concerned, that's all. I also tried to make Maph (Imhullu) for enemies only. It looks just like Fenrir, but it's an atrocious long-range spell so beware.
Q. I think the support effects are too powerful...
A. Since you can't activate the effect of Charisma-bestowing weapons unless you equip them, I wonder if it would be best to swap weapons when not attacking. I've messed with the item structure, and ending up erasing the Charisma skill is fun.
Q. There are too many items in 2nd gen.
A. Please try using iron weapons sometimes. From arena's level 1.
Q. Don't you have any plans of introducing class selection?
A. Well, I tried. Incidentally, only Fin can select his promoted class in 1st gen. If you feel that this makes the balance collapse, that's just your imagination... probably. Those who have nothing better to do, please take a look at Skasaher's Astra Holsety. If Holyn is his father, Astra + Luna + Level A magic is brutal as well.
Q. Don't you plan on using the Divine Weapon patch (minor blood characters can use Divine Weapons with halved bonuses)?
A. Since there are very few pairings that can handle Falaflame and Thorhammer, I've introduced that feature in order to increase the number of possible pairings. However, it's only valid for those two.
Q. Don't you have any plans of changing the dialogues?
A. Nope... I'm too lazy to think about or change them. Anyway, I changed a little the item descriptions, Ch. 4 Andrei and Ch. 8's sisters' convos. Andrei's speech is quite popular, but I can't make him any more uke than that... I think. Since I've felt how it is to remodel the engine to the limit, I've started to thinking about remodeling the dialogues as well... however, in the end, I worked on other things and the dialogue alterations didn't go any further.
Q. What happened about the plan off adding attack halving cancellation effect to ring-type items?
A. Thanks to 542's assistance, I've finally implemented that. Thank you, thank you. The issue is... the ranking bug that happens when Celice beats Yurius while on horseback is still there.
Q. About Lachesis's relatives, it's annoying that they can use brother attacks.
A. They were originally supposed to be three siblings, so please forgive me. The enemy sisters that appear in 2nd gen can do it properly, as sisters. Be cautious when using Nihil-less children and Johan/Johalvier.
Q. Any plans of introducing personal weapons?
A. If there's demand... nah, I'll think about it if I have free time.
Q. About the Tomahawk being too large to be throwable.
A. Even though it's huge, its design allows it be quite lightweight, so it's throwable. Surely. However, since it's way too large, it looks odd when infantry units use it...
If you want to ask anything in the thread, go ahead.